Sep 5, 2011

On The Mini-Bus

Based on a true story!

Time: 11 P.M
Location: Typical Egyptian traffic-jammed street, with people queued in a zig zag row staring at me!!!


“OMG! How on earth am I going to get home at this hour?!” I mumbled to myself as I was waiting patientlessly for the mini-bus. Minutes passed like hours and finally the hand of aid came to pull me out of the crammed streets. I jumped on, was grabbed by the stuffed standing people, dangling from the windows and the door of the mini-bus, of course, not to my surprise! The driver whispered to me as I was squeezed in between the crowd, “Come here, sit next to me on the tableau missy!!” I was flattered to sit next to the driver, imagine that!
“What an honour!” I thought to myself sarcastically. “Me, sitting, oh that’s but a dream for every Egyptian mini-bus passenger!”
He drove like the wind, stopping for people in every bus stop, and people just kept jumping like bees in a bee hive trying to squeeze themselves in. “Isn’t this bus fully loaded or I am just hallucinating?!” I mean is there a limit for passengers, isn’t this driver going to say, “Enough!” ever?!!
There was technically no more space to fit in more heads or even hands. People were either suffocating or turning into smoked fish due to the fact that they were stuffed like tuna fish in a can.
An hour passed, and I was still sitting, laughing inside of sympathy for those helpless creatures that were waiting just like me to get home safely. Then I heard some creaking. A guy standing next to me couldn’t help himself from worrying, he leaned on the driver and said, “Excuse me! What is that sound?” the driver laughed and answered, “Don’t worry. If I was sure that it’s dangerous to drive this vehicle, I wouldn’t risk the passengers’ lives”.
“Yeah, right! As if you care!” I thought to myself, “I hope your engine is listening”. Finally I was approaching my home, and I was surprisingly relieved that I’m still breathing and didn’t pass out or anything due to lack of O2. The bus stopped, I tried to make my way out through and kept saying, “Excuse me, excuse me, I want to pass please!” I finally jumped off, sighed the relief of getting safely home, my home sweet home was waiting for me with bells of joy ringing!!

Heads Up: For those who haven’t had the pleasure and excitement of riding on a fabulous journey by the mini-bus before, should know that for a Girl to arrive home without either, having taken a shower of passengers’ sweat or pushed off the door, is a mission impossible but luckily accomplished!!!


1 comment:

  1. The journey from my seat to the narrow door is like passing a mine emotion field

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...